These idioms are all about love and relationships, but they're not all romantic....
Read below to see how you can use these unique terms to talk about love - in English.
1) KISS AND MAKE UP --> To make peace after an argument.
My friend and her boyfriend often get into arguments but they never end the day angry with one another. They always kiss and make up.
2) (TO BE) HEAD OVER HEELS --> To be extremely in love!
I am head over heels for my husband. I love him more than anything!
3) PUPPY LOVE --> feelings of love, romance or infatuation felt by an adolescent; often short-term
My nephew is only 12 years old and he says he's in love with a girl at his school! He's too young to know what real love is. I think it's only puppy love - it won't last forever!
4) (TO HAVE) A CRUSH ON SOMEONE --> (Similar to puppy love but this is a verb phrase)
Many teenage girls have a crush on Justin Bieber. or
When I was a teenager, I had a crush on an older boy at school.
5) ROCKY or ON THE ROCKS --> To have an unstable relationship
I wonder if Jessica will cancel her upcoming wedding? Her relationship is very rocky. or Her relationship is on the rocks.
6) TO BE AN ITEM/TO BE A COUPLE --> To be in a romantic relationship
John and Mary are in love. They are such a cute couple!
Mike and Jane used to be best friends, but now they're an item. They began a romantic relationship after realizing they are in love.
7) TO GET HITCHED/TO TIE THE KNOT --> To get married
Michelle and Jordan are getting hitched. Their wedding will be in October.
Libby and Jennifer tied the knot last year. Their wedding was beautiful!
8) MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN --> To be a perfect couple; complimentary to one another
Kristi and Martin are a match made in heaven. They have so many things in common.
9) TO FANCY SOMEONE (UK)/TO LIKE SOMEONE (US) --> To be attracted to someone
Jimmy fancies Clarice He asked her out on a date.
I think Shawn likes Shannon. He's always staring at her and smiling.
10) TO BREAK UP/TO SPLIT UP --> To end a romantic relationship
Rowena was devastated when Mike split up with her. He told her he doesn't love her anymore.
Brittney and Austin decided to break up after they returned from holidays. Their vacation was terrible and they realized they weren't a good couple.
11) TO BE LOVEY DOVEY --> expressing love by constantly kissing, hugging, holding hands, etc.
I hate it when I'm single and I go for dinner with Marcy and Mike. They make me feel uncomfortable because they are so lovey-dovey.
12) TO ONLY HAVE EYES FOR SOMEONE --> To be very in love with only one person
I don't hear from Stefania anymore. She's dropped most of her friends, now that she only has eyes for Marcello.
13) TO FLIRT WITH SOMEONE --> To lovingly tease or play with someone; allure
Morgan always flirts with Sara. He should just ask her on a date! It's obvious that he likes her.
Comment below and tell me if any of these are new idioms for you! Do you have any other LOVE idioms to add to the list?
Let's go, Ladies!
About Your English Coach
Alannah is a CELTA certified English language teacher from Canada who lives in Italy with her wonderful husband. She's been teaching English for 11 years and has taught many different nationalities in both Canada and Italy.